Are you an experienced dancer with a desire to perform? Perhaps your tango still needs refinement but your heart and soul are ready!
Be the dancer you dream to be….join us for
Tango Dreamscapes – conceived and directed by Debbie Goodwin
Our dreams come upon us when we least expect it. Improbable stories, fantastic scenes and laughable themes will be portrayed through improvised dancing, theatrical whimsies and selected choreographies. Our exciting, frightening, magical, melancholic and sensual dream adventures come to life through a Daliesque tour of the tango.
What: Informational Meeting – Tango Dreamscapes
When: September 18th 2014 – 7pm-8pm
Where: Alma del Tango Studio, 167 Tunstead Avenue, San Anselmo
Debbie and John are a treasure in the Marin tango community! Their commitment and generosity as teachers is deeply heartfelt. Their love, passion and dedication to the art of tango is inspirational and contagious! Their teaching style is fun and playful! Participating in their student production is an absolute blast! Through my participation in their student production, All About Tango, my dancing and technique improved immensely. The experience got me out dancing several times a week and connected with the local tango community. I definitely recommend studying with them, attending their various tango events, and participating in their student production! – Kat Sun
Choose one or more roles as your time and interest allows!
1. Six to Ten Int/Adv dancers for improvisational dance scenes
3-5 leaders, 3- 5 followers for tangos, valses & milongas. The improvisational dancing will take place in a group and also as duets. This, along with the Tango Dreamscape story, will be an important part of the production.
2. Three to Five Int/Adv couples for individual choreography – duets
Your tango dream realized! The style, music and story line of the choreography can be adapted to each couple. It can be a tango, vals, milonga or an alternative piece of music.
3. Three to five couples for one group tango choreography
A dreamy yet dramatic tango that will fulfill any tangueros dance fantasy! The choreography is set to Pugliese’s “Festejando”.
4. Six to Twelve dancers for follower’s choreography
(All levels welcome – see description of women’s choreography below.)
5. Three to Six dancers for leaders choreography
(All levels welcome- details TBA)
Ready to dance? If you are interested in joining the cast or still have questions, please phone 415-482-7588 or contact Debbie.
What will I need to do?
To make this production possible, a preliminary commitment is needed by October 1, 2014 from a minimum of 3 leaders and 3 followers of Level 3-4 ability or above. Everyone’s level will definitely go up a notch if involved! Level 2 dancers are also welcome to take part – become the dancer you dream to be!
All classes, rehearsals & performances will be in San Anselmo at Alma Del Tango.
- Only one night weekly minimum attendance. You choose! Monday night and/or Wednesday night classes and /or Friday night classes (Oct-Feb). An average of 3 out of 4 weeks per month. (Note: If in leader’s only or follower’s only choreography, you need to attend Saturday technique class.)
- Attendance at Friday night Prácticas (Oct-Feb) suggested for all cast members and required for those in improvisational pieces. This is where you will be able to practice your social style dance with your partner, potential partners and other cast members. An average of 3 out of 4 weeks per month Oct-Feb.
- Group Couples Choreography Rehearsals (Saturdays 1:45-2:45pm).
- Individual Choreography – Duets by private class appointment with Debbie or ADT Creative Team. (Special reduced rate of $75/hour per couple instead of $90)
- Read and respond to monthly email updates. You will receive weekly and monthly dance goals to focus on in addition to important information for cast members.
- Sell or buy 10 tickets to family, friends, and co-workers to Tango Dreamscapes.
- Volunteer for one of the production jobs. (Ex: Set up, clean up, ticket sales, program ads, set design etc. List will follow)
- Attend photo shoot. TBD – Dec 13-14 or Dec 20-21, 2014 . (Minimal fees for photo shoot. Sign up sheet for 1/2 hour or hour slots closer to date. )
- Attendance at December Rehearsal/Audition.
TBD Sun, Dec 14 or 20, 2014 2pm-5pm.
We will run through show format and determine which couples have made enough progress on their choreography to be in the show and for which performance.
- Attendance at final month of rehearsals for everyone: Sundays: Jan. 18th, 25th, Feb. 1st & 8th from 2pm-5pm
- Attendance at Dress Rehearsal & Performances (Tuesday-Sunday Feb 10-15: Tech Reh = Tuesday Feb. 10th 7pm-10pm), Dress Reh =Thursday Feb. 12th 7pm-10pm) + Performances: Friday, Feb. 13th 7pm & 8:30pm, and Saturday Feb. 14th at 7pm & 8:30pm (Valentine Special). Sunday Matinee. Feb 15th at 2pm & 3:30pm (Dancer’s call is 1-2 hours before showtime = 6pm on Fri., Sat., and 12pm on Sun.)
*Cast Party Sunday after Sunday show
Regular class fees apply $15. (Discounted Monthly Passes Available- Couples $300/couple for unlimited group classes.)
This year’s follower’s choreography will be three tango dream vignettes exploring female archetypes such as the Innocent, the Seductress, the Creator… Prepare to be challenged as we bring out that “other” woman inside of you! (You will refine your tango walk, ochos and molinetes plus learn exciting adornments and some Tango Con*Fusion style exchange of lead/follow.)
We need a minimum of 6 women signed up by Oct 1st to make this happen. First class is Saturday morning, October 4th, 2014.
1. Attendance at Saturday morning Technique & Choreography classes. An average of 3 out of 4 weeks per month Sept-Feb. Cost is $25 for the entire morning (Only $20 if you have a 20 class package.)
12:30-1:30 Women’s Choreography Class (All Levels)
(This is a closed class only available to those signed up to perform in Tango Dreamscapes 2015.)
Also required #’s 5-11 in Commitments for General Cast section above.