Are you an experienced dancer with a desire to perform? Perhaps your tango still needs refinement but your heart and soul are ready!
Would you love to be part of a company of tango dancers on call for special functions, parties and celebrations?
Then … join us for
TANGO MAGIC … Alma del Tango’s 2014 production
Tango Magic, conceived and directed by Debbie Goodwin, explores the magical moments of the dance. That unspoken connection between partners, the music and the movement. Through mainly improvised dancing and some choreographies, the audience will discover how tango touches lives…and has the power to transform them. Like magic!
This year, instead of a theater production that disappears after four performances, we want to create something more lasting…a show that will allow us to say yes to the many requests we receive inviting us to perform at community and corporate events, as well as private parties and celebrations.
In order to do that, we need your talent and dedication to the project for the premiere showing.
What: Tango Magic
When: Feb. 14-16, 2014
Where: Alma del Tango studio
Training: Begins Sept. 1, 2013
The show will remain an integral part of the Alma del Tango program offerings. If you are unable to make these dates but still want to be a part of the training process for ongoing shows of Tango Magic, please sign up!
We’re looking for dancers of various skill levels:
- Professionals and very high level dancers (Contact Debbie for specifics, your requirements will be different from those of the general cast.)
- Advanced level student cast
- A cast in training who aspire to develop the skills to perform in Tango Magic
Emphasis will be on attaining a higher quality of improvisational dancing with connection and musicality … AND a show that shares the magic of tango in a powerful, intimate way.
Please read more about Tango Magic in the articles below.
Debbie and John are a treasure in the Marin tango community! Their commitment and generosity as teachers is deeply heartfelt. Their love, passion and dedication to the art of tango is inspirational and contagious! Their teaching style is fun and playful! Participating in their student production is an absolute blast! Through my participation in their student production, All About Tango, my dancing and technique improved immensely. The experience got me out dancing several times a week and connected with the local tango community. I definitely recommend studying with them, attending their various tango events, and participating in their student production! – Kat Sun
1. Ten Int/Advanced dancers for improvisational dance scenes
5 leaders, 5 followers for tangos, valses & milongas. The improvisational dancing will take place in a group and also as duets. This, along with the Tango Magic story, will be the main part of the production.
2. Three Int/Advanced couples for individual choreography – duets
The style, music and story line of the choreography can be adapted to each couple. One couple will dance a tango, one a vals, another a milonga.
3. Three to five couples for one group tango choreography
The choreography is a sleek contemporary piece that will illustrate to the audience “how to dance the tango.”
4. Eight to 20 dancers for all-women’s choreography
(All levels welcome – see description of women’s choreography below.)
Ready to dance? If you are interested in joining the cast or still have questions, please phone 415-482-7588 or contact Debbie.
What will I need to do?
To make this production possible, a preliminary commitment is needed by September 1, 2013 from a minimum of 3 leaders and 3 followers of strong Level 3-4 ability or above. Everyone’s level will definitely go up a notch if involved!
Please note how this can be a doable project for all concerned:
- Don’t have the time? You can opt to be in parts of the show that only require once a week attendance Sept-Feb plus Jan & Feb rehearsal dates. If you wish to play a bigger role, your attendance may be required 2 -3 times a week.
- Not available to perform Feb 14-16, 2014? You can still sign up if you wish to be part of this company of dancers but cannot perform in the premier showing in February. You will train for the performance Sept – Feb and be all set to perform as we put the show on in the following months. We expect ongoing monthly performance opportunities for Tango Magic!
- Don’t have a partner? You can still sign up and train Sept-Feb. That way, you will be ready when the right partner comes along or if we need an understudy in certain roles. A leader or follower can have multiple partners for Tango Magic to allow for more people to be able to participate and also helps with scheduling performances and creates an understudy role. When one partner is not available, perhaps the other will be!
- Not good enough yet? You can still still sign up and train to be part of this company of dancers even if your skill level is still not ready. You will train Sept- Feb so you will be ready for future shows when your skill level improves.
All classes, rehearsals & premier performances will be in San Anselmo. Future dates and locations of performances depends on bookings. To accommodate dancers’ schedules, the cast will rotate.
- Attendance at Monday night and/or Wednesday night classes and /or Friday night classes (Sept-Feb). An average of 3 out of 4 weeks per month Sept-Feb.
- Attendance at Friday night Prácticas (Sept-Feb). This is where you will be able to practice your social style dance with your partner, potential partners and other cast members. An average of 3 out of 4 weeks per month Sept-Feb.
- Group Couples Choreography Rehearsals (Saturdays 1-2pm).
- Individual Choreography – Duets by private class appointment with Debbie. (Special reduced rate of $70/hour per couple instead of $85)
- Read and respond to monthly email updates. You will receive weekly and monthly dance goals to focus on in addition to important information for cast members.
- Sell or buy 10 tickets to family, friends, and co-workers.
- Volunteer for one of the production jobs. (Ex: Set up, clean up, ticket sales, program ads, set design etc. List will follow)
- Attend photo shoot. Jan 18 and/or 19, 2014 . (Minimal fees for photo shoot. Sign up sheet for 1/2 hour or hour slots closer to date. )
- Attendance at January Rehearsal/Audition.
Sun., Jan 18, 2014 2pm-5pm.
We will run through show format and determine which couples have made enough progress on their choreography to be in the show and for which performance. Depending on cast size, not everyone will be in every performance.
- Attendance at final month of rehearsals for improvisational dancers: Sundays, Jan. 5th, 12th, 19th from 2pm-4pm.
- Attendance at final month of rehearsals for everyone: Sundays: Jan. 19th, 26th, Feb. 2nd & 9th from 2pm-5pm
- Attendance at Dress Rehearsal & Performances (Tuesday-Sunday Feb 11-17: Tech Reh = Feb. 11th 7pm-10pm), Dress Reh = Feb. 13th 7pm-10pm) -Performances: Friday, Feb. 14 (Valentine Special), and Saturday Feb. 16th at 7pm & 8:30pm. Sun. Feb 19th at 2pm (Dancer’s call is 1-2 hours before showtime = 6pm on Fri., Sat., and 12pm on Sun.)
*Cast Party Sunday after show
Regular class fees apply $15. (Discounted Monthly Passes Available- Couples $300/couple for unlimited group classes.)
This year’s women’s choreography will be danced to Piazzolla’s Leonora’s Song featuring the beautiful footwork and adornments of the follower’s role in tango. Prepare to be challenged as we work to refine body movement, balance, foot placement and coordination to create a stunning display of fancy footwork!
We need a minimum of 10 women signed up by Sept. 1st to make this happen. First class is Saturday, Sept 7th, 2013.
1. Attendance at Saturday morning Technique & Choreography classes. An average of 3 out of 4 weeks per month Sept-Feb. Cost is $25 for the entire morning (Only $20 if you have a 10 or 20 class package. If you have a monthly couples pass, add only $45/month for Women’s Classes. )
11:30-12:30 Women’s Choreography Class (All Levels)
(This is a closed class only available to those signed up to perform in Tango Magic 2014.)
Also required #’s 5-11 in Commitments for General Cast section above.