Alma del Tango is a non-profit 501c3 organization dedicated to encouraging artistic expression and the development of community through Argentine Tango. Started by Debbie Goodwin and John Campbell in 1996 and incorporated as a non-profit in 2000, it is the umbrella organization for several worthy projects.
- Alma del Tango offers a full program of beginning to advanced tango dance classes, a weekly práctica, monthly milonga and annual student dance production to the community of Marin County, California.
- Alma Video Productions engages in documenting dance productions that would otherwise disappear with the fading sounds of the last note of music.
- Debbie Goodwin Dance supports the choreography and direction of Alma del Tango’s student and professional productions as well as taking on artistic projects on a freelance basis.
- Debbie Goodwin Dance Company (DGDC) Newly formed company of 5 men and 5 women seeks to transform the perception of tango from the cliché, rose-in-the-mouth dance of sexual tension and passion. New works will manifests tango as the embodiment of the human condition in the broadest sense, with the particular cultural perspective of traditional Argentine culture.
- Tango, a Romantic Ritual, the professional theater production, serves to educate, entertain, and capture the imagination.
- Tango Con*Fusión, the all-women professional dance company, explores gender roles and interpersonal relationships through performance of modern dance pieces informed by the themes of Argentine Tango.
- Seth Asarnow y su Sexteto Tipico capture the sound and style of the popular orchestras from the Golden Age of Tango. They are dedicated to preserving this amazing style of music in its original form.
Originally known as Social Dance Cultures, the organization is doing business as Alma del Tango, translated Soul of the Tango. Before focusing solely on Argentine Tango, Social Dance Cultures sponsored other dance genres including the popular American Swing teenage dance company “The Rugcutters.”
Tax ID #68-0444481 Social Dance Cultures/Alma del Tango